Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I'm interested in Office 365, both Home and Office editions,

I'm interested in Office 365, both Home and Office editions, both online and offline. The Home version allows 5 users. Is there any way that Microsoft differentiates between home and office usage? One family member has a very small business. Is there any way that M'soft keeps track of how the software is utilised, and would the business usage by one family member give rise to a problem?
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

To answer your question, Microsoft does not have a tracking mechanism to verify of the home edition is being used for business or in a business environment. However, the business edition has some additional features that is intended or will be useful for businesses. So if one of the 5 users use it for business, the only way that Microsoft will know that is when someone visits the office of that business and then see an MS Office "Home" edition installed which is considered a mis-licensing.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess