UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My wife died in South Africa, she had a British Passport which

Customer Question

My wife died in South Africa, she had a British Passport which has been lost. The Home Office will not register and give a death certificate without a passport. What can I do?I would like to remarry.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You cannot register the death in the UK as your wife died in South Africa.
The South African death certificate is sufficient for use in the UK and you do not need her passport to remarry.
See page 1 of this document for evidence supporting my answer:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/193657/Death_Overseas_web_13.pdf
All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. The problem is there is no passport available so the South African Authorities will not grant a death certificate without a passport.
They may perhaps accept a copy of the passport or some other document or a letter from the Home Office. You would need to consult a local lawyer to find out a way, there has to be a way round this.
All the best