José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

Hi, my husband and I live in Spain and have made Spanish wills

Customer Question

Hi, my husband and I live in Spain and have made Spanish wills to cover our property and assets in this country. The only asset we have in the UK is a joint bank account and any money left in this, when we are both gone, we would like to leave to our only son who is adopted and lives in the UK. (I assume we are still classed as domiciled in the UK as my husband receives a military pension and pays tax there). My question is - will the money go to him anyway as he is our only child or is it better to make a UK will for ensure this happens. If we need to make wills can we use the ordinary will forms that can be downloaded off the internet or is it more complicated than that? Thank you in advance.
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 4 years ago.

JoseMagadan :

Hi there

JoseMagadan :

The best in your case in to make the same will ( I mean translated ) in UK

JoseMagadan :

If you do so you will be sure that there will be any problems

JoseMagadan :

José M. spanish attorney

JoseMagadan :

Please ask so manty times as you need in order to be sure you got it and do not forget to rate my service when you were completly satisfied with. Thank you

JACUSTOMER-gd2f7wce- :

It is my understanding that our Spanish wills only cover our assets in Spain, therefore using it, even translated, as a UK will would serve no purpose as my concern is our UK bank account. I have been told that we need a separate UK will for this and my query was to that effect.

JoseMagadan :

No Sir, you do no need a different wills and even it could be very dangerous. The best its to make just the same translated into english / spanish and to inscribe it in the place required to be valid in UK

JACUSTOMER-gd2f7wce- :

I have double checked our wills and the following phrase is in both -

JACUSTOMER-gd2f7wce- :

I have checked our wills again and the following phrase is in both - ..... referido única y exclusivamente a su patrimonio situado en España, ........ This is the reason why I think we need a UK will to cover any assets we may have in the UK.

JoseMagadan :

Sure. This will is limitated to the goods in Spain

JoseMagadan :

I dont like limited wills

JoseMagadan :

But this one its limited

JoseMagadan :

You can made a new one no limited or another one in UK