José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I gave the bank my keys back and was told by the manager that

Customer Question

I gave the bank my keys back and was told by the manager that I was no longer responsible for any charges, I have emailed this manager, Bank for proof but never had a reply, I now after 5 years been written to through ex wife that we owe nearly 6000 euros for maintenance of something we gave up 5 years ago! The letter says despite previous letters I've not replied but not seen any such letters!! Can you advise please, we have been divorced all this time,
Thankyou
Ps I am on a debt management an at present
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

José M. spanisg attorney

José M. :

Sorry for the spelling, spanish attorney

José M. :

We need to read the documents you have

José M. :

In Spain to give the keys to the bank does not suppose to be free of charges unless the bank accept it

José M. :

So, we have to read the escritura you signed in the notario

José M. :

And in the other hand we need to know why are they askinf the money for

José M. :

As long as spanish banks are out f money, they are looking for old debts trying to get some cash or even selling old debts to vulture companies

José M. :

So, you could do several things

José M. :

First one to read the escritura you signed then

José M. :

Second one ask them for the origin of the debt

José M. :

Once you have the documents, study if they are right or not and then study what could happend even in the case you owe the money and do not pay

José M. :

And that it is because they have very short chance to seize you out of Spain and the cost are higher than 6.000 euros

José M. :

So, study the documents, study their chances to seize you, and act after all

José M. :

Do you have something in Spain to be seized? Thats vey important,

José M. :

look for the escrituras and the documents and try to ask them why are you asked for the money and cat once they send you the documents

José M. :

José M. :

I will be here if needed

JACUSTOMER-6k1edahe- :

thankyou for that, i will get together the necessary papers, the letter i've received just says it's for community charge, copy attached

Full Size Image
spain2
Full Size Image
spain 2
Full Size Image
It was a holiday apartment small 2 bedoomed apartment used 3 times only, split up from ex wife and divorced, have nothing in Spain and have not been back since early 2008. Thanks again will take your advice.

José M. :

Well Sir

José M. :

As I see they are not the bank, they are a vulture company

José M. :

They are not asking fot bank debts

José M. :

They are asking for a comunity fees

José M. :

And it is great for you

José M. :

Great because the expiration time to ask for comunity fees is just 3 years

José M. :

If the comunity could not probe to have demand you in this 5 years they have no chance at all

José M. :

In all cases this debt is no a legal debt in UK, so you do not have to pay for it

José M. :

And if they wnat to demand you they have to probe a legal debt in Spain

José M. :

And in Spain this debt is over

José M. :

So the vulture company has nothing to do againts you different of disturbing you

José M. :

Tell them to stop of disturbing you and go to court if they want, but do not allow them to disturb you any more

José M. :

This kind of companies buy ald debts almost for nothing ( 20 per cent in the best case) and their business is disturb the debitor and make his live hard

José M. :

Do not alloe them to do so

José M. :

This debt is over, in Spain they have no chance to demand you in court at all

José M. :

So they have to forget you and forget the debt

José M. :

I will be here if neeeded

José M. :