José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

My 25yr old son has received an order to go to Ibiza as a witness

Customer Question

My 25yr old son has received an order to go to Ibiza as a witness in a court case on 27th March and states a fine will be imposed if he does not attend. There is no direct flight there at this time of year due to it being out of the holiday season and as such flights are very expensive, some are being costed at £1,200. The cheapest is £370 from Heathrow, which incurs additional travelling costs from South Wales. Accommodation is not easily available this time of year either. He just can't afford to take time off work and pay these costs. Is there anything we can do? Can't the Court just take the statement he gave at the time? The case involves a local policeman who stole money from my son when he was on holiday on the island two years ago.
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

José M spanish attorney

José M. :

Spanish law forces to go to the court at the witness when called

José M. :

But if he does not go, even if they put a fine for not go there, they will have no chance to charge him

José M. :

So, if he does not want to spend money coming, let it go and forget the matter

José M. :

The could no do more against him

José M. :

If I were you, I will forget the matter and I will not come for sure

José M. :

Do not be scared for the penalty, It does not worth to came just for that and the risk is very small

José M. :

They have no chance to go against him as he is in UK and if sometime he comes the worst he could have in front is the fact to have to pay a penalty cheaper that the cost of the travel

José M. :

Best regards, I will be here if needed

José M. :

Thank you, have a good day

JACUSTOMER-ss0u4e15- :

What would happen if he were to visit Ibiza in the future?

José M. : In regular cases, most cases, just nothing. In very important criminal cases where the witness is very important for justice the worst could happend could be to be deteined and send it to court to declare and get a fine but in case as yours, regular simple case, nothing.