José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I have just been advised that my lawyer in spain has been fired

I have just been advised that my lawyer in spain has been fired by her firm for stealing clients funds.This lawyer has diverted funds from a deceased persons bank account to her personal account.Do I have a claim against her employers and is there a compensation fund in spain for theft by lawyer from client accounts.
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

José M spanish lawyer

José M. :

If the lawer was contracted by a firm and you contracted with this firm, is the firm who has to pay you. If you contracted with the lawyer is him who has to pay you

José M. :

In both cases, company or the lawyers site has the legal obligation to have an insurance for this cases and you could demand the insurance company

José M. :

Contract a lawyer in the place where they are who study the case and advice you the better way to get your money back and/or a economicl compensation for damages

José M. :

I will be here if needed, thank you

Customer: The lawyer worked for a firm of lawyers in Barcelona .i did not deal with any other person at the firm,but It was the firm which billed me for legal costs not the lawyer individually.she held a power of attorney from me and used it to persuade the bank to pay the funds to her personal bank account.the head of the firm called her an employee,not a partner ,was vague when I mentioned insurance
José M. :

Perfect, as long as it was the firm who billed you all the responsability is from they, and they are who has to pay you. Do not get a doubt on it. You work with him because the firm trusted on him and you trusted on the firm, so its pretty clear that it is just the firm who has to pay you

José M. :

Contract another firm in Barcelona, study one of the compentency of them, and demand them. Probably they pay without to have to go to court

Customer: That is what I have told the head of the firm,but his initial standpoint was that she stole the money so my action is against her individually . He even suggested that his insurance did not cover theft by an employee....that did seem strange to me.
Customer: he
José M. :

No way, the answer is clear, where did your money go? Who was who billed you?....

José M. :

No way to go out againts this speech

José M. :

You pay to the firm, so they are who has the responsability

Customer: Well let's hope so and hope he can persuade the thief to return the money to avoid the police and the publicity that would damage the firm.I was surprised that he didn't immediately offer to repay the money
José M. :

I am sure you will got it. The firm can no let the bad publicity in adition to be forced to pay you back in court.... In my opinion they are making stupid things having an angry client when they have no chance to win at all

Customer: Well thank you very much for the advice.i have told him that if he can't get the money back or pay me from the firm or his insurers I must take legal advice and seek every remedy available.
José M. :

That it is the way Sir, be sure you will got your money back

José M. :

THe bills are the clue

Customer: I guess there is no central compensation fund in Spain for crooked lawyers
José M. :

No, there is not and it is not necesary as long as we pay an insurance for this cases

José M. :

If I make a mistake for negligence my insurance pays....

José M. :

If I stole, my insurance pays and my insurance will try to get his money back from me

Customer: Well thanks again and goodbye you have been very reassuring
José M. :

That it is because I pay a lot for the insurance also :)

José M. :

Thank you. Have agood day

José M. :

I gently ask for a good rate of the service