José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I am a fixed week timeshare owner in Majorca since 1997 and

I am a fixed week timeshare owner in Majorca since 1997 and am in dispute with the company as they have reduced our large walled patio by 2/3rds, it was 30ft wide x 50ft long and is now 30ft wide x 15ft long with any prior notice. I have withheld my annual maintenance payments for 2013 and 2014 in an attempt to get this dispute resolved but to no avail. As this is no longer what we purchased we have offered the week back to the company but they are only willing to change us to a different apartment or to a floating week which I do not want as it was specifically bought for the large patio and fixed time.The company are now threating legal action to recover the outstanding maintenance fees. As I have never signed the Notary deeds could you please advise me of the legal situation
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

According to the spanish law 42/1998 the contract must be formaliced in the notaria

José M. :

It is said in the 14 article of the law

José M. :

Sorry, I have lost the negation, The contract has not to be formaliced in the notaria, it is just an option

José M. :

According to the 16 article the company has to giv ethe client the services contracted as they contracted As long as they has reduced the offer given to you ( the patio) you have the right to demand they for an indemnization

José M. :

In short, you do not have to be scared and you do not have to pay them as long as they do not recognice your rights, give you an indemnization for the change in the patio, and inscribe the new situation, and the real, one in the propiety register

José M. :

If they do not agree you coulkd demand to broke the contract with them

José M. :

In my opinion the chance that they start lagal action againts you is very short because the court easily could fail in your favour and force them to indemanizate you

José M. :

So, stand in the same position you are now and wait their answer. Force them to gat an agreement with you. Your position is very strong in court

José M. :

I will be here if needed

José M. :

José M. Spanish atorney

Customer:

Thank you for your reply. Would you please send me this reply in Spanish so I can quote this in my dealings with Majorca. Kind regards

José M. :

Of course

José M. :

De acuerdo a la ley aplicable en España, 42/1998 el contrato NO es obligatorio formalizarlo en documenton público, en la notaría

José M. :

Acuerdo al artículo 16, si la empresa reduce la oferta, en su caso el patio, debe indemnizar al cliente, a Ud

José M. :

En resumen, son ellos los que han reducido la oferta, y ud no tiene porque tener miedo a posibles acciones civilkes porque es muy poco probable que inicien acciones que fácilmente ellos van a perder

José M. :

Ud esta en su derecho a inscribir la situación en el registro cuando Ud quiera

José M. :

En mi opinión, el riesgo de que ellos inicien acciones contra Ud es muy remoto, yo esa posibilidad no la contemplo

José M. :

De iniciar acciones es fácil que el juez se decante porque son ellos quienes deben indemnizarle a Ud

José M. :

Así que mi consejo es que Ud siga en la misma situación porque legalmente su posición es muy fuerte

José M. :

Espere a que sean ellos los que se muevan, y al no iniciar acciones, negocien

José M. :

Un saludo

Customer:

Many thanks Jose

José M., Attorney
Experience: Spanish Attorney