José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

During a recent holiday in Teneriffe, I attended a bedding

During a recent holiday in Teneriffe, I attended a bedding demonstration given by a UK company. I placed an order to the value of £1440. On returning to the UK however I realised that I could not afford these items. During the demo I was given a form on which I was to fill in my bed size & was informed that nothing could go ahead until the company had received the size required, as each order was made on an individual basis, I did not forward this form.
I had signed the order on 11th March & sent a cancellation email on 24th, since then I have received various demands for payment of a cancellation fee. They say their cooling off period is 8 days, I always thought in Uk that you had 14 days by law?
Am I liable to pay a cancellation fee?
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

Jose M spanish atorney

José M. :

Do not worry to be demanded by them, as long as you have refused the contract it is going to be very hard for they to demand you

José M. :

Its true that the law in Spain to refused the contract was on this days 8 days ( Has been now a legal change ut to 1 month)

José M. :

But even out of this palse of time they have to probe that you have recibe all the detailled information and agree with thta

José M. :

In all cases, to demand a consumer in court, who has refused the contract is hard and expensive, companies never does

José M. :

Is short, my advice is to keep the same way you have done it by now, say that you rject the contract and refused it and wait what are they do

José M. :

I am sure they will do nothing

José M. :

If they do, you could defend your sefl in court because they do not give all the information, and you was waiting for more

José M. :

Customer:

José M. :

Hi there

Customer:

Thank you for your advice, although I placed the order in Teneriffe, the company is a UK company ,their goods are made in the UK and their emails are from their administration office in England.

Customer:

Customer:

hi

Customer:

Customer:

hi

Customer:

José M. :

Unless the contract says another thing the law to be apllied is the spanish law

José M. :

And it is because it is the law where the contract was signed

Customer:

José M. :

If the contract says that you refuse to the apicable law and give you the obligation to go to UK law you could say that as a consumer you do not have to admit it if you do not want

José M. :

So, read the contract carefully

José M. :

Ussually at the end of the contract we will find the aplicable law in case of dispute

José M. :

In nothing says it is spanish law and spanish courts

José M. :

If says that you refuses to spanish law and foirce you to go to UK court and law you could decide want is more convenient for you

José M. :

If you determinate that UK law is worst you could demand to aplly spanish law

José M. :

I will behere if needed

José M. :

Customer:

Customer:

José M., Attorney
Experience: Spanish Attorney