José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

A friend of mine is in court next week she has brought a case

Customer Question

A friend of mine is in court next week she has brought a case against a property developer she has a spainish lawyer. I just want to ask some advise for her. her lawyer is young female and doesn't seem to have gone over any cultural aspects with her.

How does my friend appear to be culturally competent.

what sort of things does she need to know to make sure the judge is on her side.

she is British irish in origin, being female attractive and in her late forties is this a disadvantage or an advantage.

how should she dress and how should she show defferance and how should she speak as to show the right behaviours when in court, to be culturally sensitive.

she has aleady told me that the property developer is Spanish they didn't complete the complex and that they produced pictures of a completed complex hoping the case would be thrown out, the judge was angry with them as they were not supposed to show these pictures at this hearing and my friend didn't have any pictures taken. she flew over to spain to have a 5mins hearing the judge was angry he threw it out.

so is this is her big day next week she flys over again and is hoping the judge remembers the bad behaviour of the Spanish developers.

so far the case looks good for her but it is a Spanish court with Spanish developers in spain she has to make sure she culturally on the same page.

also she has to rely on a Spanish lawyer to speak for her and translate to her and then she has to speak.
#
is there any software she could buy or any service she could avail of in court have you any advise on this also. she said to me she has to keep her mind clear as it is difficult to talk when it is going to and fro also the meaning can be lost in translation.

any advise
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 3 years ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

The best she could do is to stand just behind her attorney, do not speak unless judge ask her, and let her lawyer do the rest

José M. :

In order to do that she needs to be very confident with her lawyer and trust her

José M. :

If she does not trust her lawyer, just change her

José M. :

Its no too much difficult to find an speaking english attorney in Spain

José M. :

Even you could easily find UK attorneys working here also

José M. :

So, trust her lawyer or change her as soon as possible

José M. :

José M. :

Ask whatever you need

José M. :