José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I live in Catalunya (I am British) and my elderly father recently

I live in Catalunya (I am British) and my elderly father recently joined me. He is 82 and has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. I have power of attorney which has been notarised and can be used in Europe. He has a "padron" but nothing else i.e. no NIE number. At some point soon he will need to go into care and I want to place him in a home here. He has some savings so could go into a private home, but once the savings have gone would need to go into a local authority home. I would like to know what the requirements are in order to do this. Thank you.
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

José M spanish solicitor

José M. :

The first step to take is to get the legal residence for him in Spain as a resident.

José M. :

He needs a tarjeta de residencia. Residence permission to be here legal

José M. :

So, get the NIE for him and as soon as possible he will have to inscribe himself in a public list waiting for elderly people residence

José M. :

The time to get a vcacancy is very long, there are no too many vacances and there is a lot of people waiting

José M. :

This places charge the person with a sume that never are over his incomes, but is very hard to get a vacancy

José M. :

Here you have the list of residences in Catalunya

José M. :

As soon as he gets the residence check a good place for him and ask for a vacancy

José M. :

I will be here if needed

José M. :