José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

hi, back in 2001 I had a court hearing in spain for assault

Customer Question

hi, back in 2001 I had a court hearing in spain for assault which I did not attend. I was receiving letters twice a year up until 2010 asking me to attend court which I never replied to would it be ok and safe for me to go back to spain on a family holiday?
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

If court was asking for you and you did not attend, be sure that the court put a warrant on you in order to catch you

José M. :

So, if you come into Spain you assume the risk to be arrested and sended to the court

José M. :

If you want to be sure about the real risk you could contract a local attorney who coould get information in court about the case

José M. :

So, contract a local attorney or do not come into Spain at least for five years

José M. :

Do you have any more questions?

JACUSTOMER-ng1iughd- : Hi
José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

I am on line right now

José M. :

May I help you?

JACUSTOMER-ng1iughd- :

If they did have a warrant on me 1) how would I know? and 2) would this mean I can never go to Spain again?

José M. :

1 You could know if you contract a local attorney who ask for it at court

JACUSTOMER-ng1iughd- :

You also say nit to go to spain for at least five years is this 5 years from the incident date in 2001 from the last lot of correspondence received in 2010 of five years from now?

José M. :

As long as you do not ask for it it will be not sure for you to come

JACUSTOMER-ng1iughd- :

so you haven't really been able to assist me with my query other than to go to a solicitor in person?

José M. :

The problem is thet if there is a real warrant, police could catch you to send you to court even when court set you free, I meam, the police send you to court for the warrant but just for nothin...

José M. :

Yes, you could manage with an attorney you do not have to come

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

Do you need more help?

José M. :

You need to contract a local atorney to be sure

José M. :

If you do not contract him you will be not sure here

JACUSTOMER-ng1iughd- :

I don't feel that you've really told me anything new? I could have just put the £36 fee towards a solicitor in person

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

I am a solicitor, but it is no so easy

José M. :

I mean, You have to send a power of attorney to the one you contract in order he/she will be able to go to court to ask

José M. :

Without the power of atorney no solicitor could go to ask in your name

José M. :

Have a good day