José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

My son's wife divorced him in Uk whilst he was living in Spain

My son's wife divorced him in Uk whilst he was living in Spain in the former marital home. She had returned to UK, with the three children, and has now re-married and continues to live in UK. The divorce judge ordered my son to pay her £125,000. This figure was based on a highly exagerated estimate of the value of the home. His wife's valuers estimated the value of the house at £250,000 whereas his valuer put a more realistic value of £125,000 on it. My son continues to live in the former marital home and has not paid any monies to her.
She has now declared herself bankrupt and my son believes that the receiver has placed a lien on his house, in Spain.
My son is under the impression that the order made by the divorce judge cannot be enforced in Spain.
1. Can the receiver place a lien on the house ?
2. Can the British divorce judge's ruling be enforced in Spain ?
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

José M spanish solicitor

José M. :

I am going to answer you as you ask

José M. :

1. Can the receiver place a lien on the house ? Yes, he coud demand it in court in order to force your son to pay and / or avoid him to sell it out

José M. :

2. Can the British divorce judge's ruling be enforced in Spain ? Yes

José M. :

According to international law and international treaties is like that and the sentence is so valid in Spain as it is in UK

José M. :

I will be here if needed

José M. :