José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

My brother-in-law recently died in Spain,

Customer Question

My brother-in-law recently died in Spain, we are having difficulty getting the bank in Spain to release the funds from his account. My niece was over to arrange funeral, cremation and return of ashes to London. They have a copy of the will stating that her and her sister are the inheritors of the estate. The death certificate, NEI number for my brother in law Tony XXXXXXXXX,and his bank card. My niece, Jacey XXXXXXXXX, has been in touch in person with the BBVA bank in Spain and returned to the Uk to organise his funeral over here. On returning the bank is refusing to transfer the money to the UK and insisting that she returns in person. This would result in more costs which the balance of the account would not cover. BBVA bank in uk, and the notary Salvador XXXXXXXXX, do not see any reason why the bank in Spain does not transfer the money. I would be grateful if you could give me any advice. I am Eleanor XXXXXXX, Jacey and Gemma XXXXXXXXX's closest relative and writing on bequest of Jacey XXXXXXXXX.

Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there

Once we had prove who is the heir the bank has no legal reason to block our account
So, we have now several ways

Once is to ask them for writting instructions and study them or keep them to probe.

Then write the bank to let them now that if they reject to give you the money you will put a claim on the Banco de España

http://www.bde.es/clientebanca/quejas/quejas.htm

And also let them know that further away you will contract a local attorney to sue them at court. For that, their negative and reasons by writting will be very good fot you

They have no legal way to block the money

I will be here if you need more help

Expert:  José M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there

The sistem do not let mw know if you need more help

Please write if you do