José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I bought a house in spain in 2004 and unfortunately my mother

Customer Question

I bought a house in spain in 2004 and unfortunately my mother died in 2012. I have paid my inheritance tax. I sold the house in January 2015. I took some bad advice at the time of probate as my solicitor told me to flog the car rather than put it through probate as it was worthless. My ex keyholders are driving the car and it is still in my mother's name. As I was working abroad and only returned this year, I basically forgot about the car. But I am still with the solicitors that I bought the house with (I did not do the probate with these solicitors) and my bills have been set up with them. I have noticed that I still pay car tax and know that if anything happens to the car eg, an accident, it will fall on me. How can I get rid of this car? Would it be best to have it destroyed?
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there

José M spanish atorney
In this cases, as owner of the car, you must be carefull it has an insurance
If you are not sure make a basic insurance contract to get your back on safe
Another thing you can do is to write a letter to DGT telling who has the car and his persnal data, with that you do not get to stop paying taxes but in case of accident you have something better
You can no sell it out as you do not have it, you can no destroy it at dismantler for the same reason, and you can no denounce it as robbery at the police sttaion because it is a criminal action making falses denounces

So, make a cheap insurance and write to the DGT telling who has the car now
with their personal data