José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

My father passed away last year. He owned a property jointly

My father passed away last year. He owned a property jointly with his wife in Ibiza. She has stated that the Spanish will stated that she was the sole beneficiary. I have not seen the will. Their principle residence was in the UK and I am executor for the UK will.
She has asked for me to get an NIE number from the Spanish consulate so that if she sells the Spanish property I can be paid a percentage of the sale price.
As he had a Spanish will does Spanish inheritance law prevail over the property there?
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi. José M spanish atorney. The aplicable law is the national law of the deceased person, no the le where the goods are. If he was a UK citicen and he has a UK will, the spanish will only could be valid if its data in later than UK will and it has been legalizated according UK law. So, ask for the last will at the consulate and you will find the legal one. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry for the late reply. I do not quite understand your reply.If the Spanish will is dated later than the British will, only refers to the Spanish property and has not been legalized in Britain does it mean that Spanish law will be applied to the property in Spain that the will refers to?