José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

My husband was arrested for domestic violence in Tenerife

Customer Question

My husband was arrested for domestic violence in Tenerife 2014. I did not press charges and we flew home. In April 2016 when we came back to Tenerife on holiday, the police came to our apartment and issued him with a court date. We found an English speaking lawyer/barrister and attended the hearing. When I was interviewed by the judge I categorically stated that I did not want to press charges. My husband was also seen by the judge and all charges were dropped.
Subsequently by husband has received a call from the court clerk to say they will be pressing charges???? We don't understand how this can happen. I have tried to call back the clerk but keep getting cut off. What can we do?
Lisa-Marie harwood
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 10 months ago.

have the police interviewed you about this

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They interviewed me in Tenerife in 2014
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As previously stated I was interviewed by the police in 2014 after the altercation. My husband was put in custody for the night and then released the next day. We heard nothing else about the matter until we went back to Tenerife in April this year (although we had been back twice previously with no problems). We attended court and the charges were dropped. My husband received a call today at work by the clerk telling him they were pressing charges! It's ludicrous! The incident was not even serious. We had both had to much to drink and had an altercation. My concern is, we have purchased a time share on the island and we don't want this affecting us every time we fly out. It was difficult enough having to take our 4 children along to the court in April. I don't want that to happen again.

Sorry, can't help.

This is outside of the UK's jurisdiction.

I will opt out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It really would be easier to talk to you on the phone. Would that be possible today?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have also just emailed the Spanish consulate seeking advice.
Expert:  José M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi. José M. spanish lawyer.

The way to be sure if the cause is dead or not goes through contact the barrister you contracted then and he and he ask to the court.

If not possible, you will have to contract a new one, send him a power of atorney and order him to ask. If he goes to Tenerife, the procedure could be easier, contract and atorney go with him to the court and ask in the same morning