StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

what is the minimum rsj to support newbuild floor joist to

what is the minimum rsj to support newbuild floor joist to existing, will be sat 150mm on conc padstones. span is 1500mm. joist are 175mm, 2000mm each side leading to the joint.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 3 years ago.

StructuralEng :

StructuralEng :

IHow are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you with this question.

StructuralEng :

Will teh beam support just a single floor or more?

StructuralEng :

Will it support any ceramic tile?

StructuralEng :

Is it a 1.5m beam span with a 2m joist span on each side of the beam?

Customer:

Hi, The beam will be 2x 102mm wide rsj bolted together to make a 230mm wide beam . this is where the room is being knocked through to the extension. So the beam is only supporting floor boards, as it will be a bedroom.

Customer:

It is 1.5 metre span and the joists span is 2m each side if the joist.

Customer:

My query is, instead of using a 175mm rsj, I would like a lower one so pipewirk and wiring can still be run easily under the floorboards. the floor joist are going to be on joist hangers onto the rsj, not sitting on top. so the ceiling underneath can run flush all the way throught. hope this helps.

StructuralEng :

Thank you for teh additional information. I will read this closer and get back to you a little later this afternoon.

StructuralEng : Two RSJ 178x102x19 beams will work. I wouldn't bolt them together. The bolt will have to bridge too much space to connect them and will not adequately do so
StructuralEng : yiuso you can weld a 6mm plate across the top of the two beams
Customer:

thanks for reply, sorry to be a pain, but the question is a lower rsj than 178mm?? ie will 150mm rsj be ok, i was specked a 178mm when it was to support a wall aswell, but this weight is not a factor now. i know this is maybe a bit in depth for this kind of q+a, what do you reckon??

StructuralEng : Sorry. I misread your last ppst
StructuralEng : post
StructuralEng :

Two RSJ 152x89x16 will work.

StructuralEng :

If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it. I'll be happy to answer additional questions on the topic.

StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience: Structural Engineer