StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Hi, How can I fix a new steel post on an existing masonry

How can I fix a new steel post on an existing masonry wall to build an extension? i.e. what type of foundation I should use to avoid fixing the post on the existing foundations.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 3 years ago.

StructuralEng :

Hello. How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you with this question

StructuralEng :

I'm a little unclear exactly what you're looking for.

StructuralEng :

You ask how to attach a post to the wall, but then ask about foundations to avoid fixing it to the wall.

StructuralEng :

Do you have any sketches or drawings that you can share?

StructuralEng :

I will check back periodically.

Customer:

Hi thank you for getting back to me

Customer:

I have an existing house and need to build an extension

Customer:

the architect suggested a steel beam which is perpendicular to the rear wall to hold the extension roof

Customer:

Rear extension
Full Size Image

Customer:

my question is: How to build the steel coulmn close to the existing house

Customer:

Thanks and sorry for the confusion

StructuralEng :

Thank you for the sketch. Can you point out where the column you're concerned about is located?

Customer:

Hi, Please find attached the required column. many thanks

Full Size Image

StructuralEng : Why do you need a column there? Why not run the joists from the of exterior wall to the new exterior wall (5m span)?
Customer:

just we thought that 5m span is too much for a timber joist !!?

Customer:

Any way, if the builder insists that we need a column, how do you think we can install it close to existing wall? How we can support the column considering the existing foundations?

StructuralEng : You will need to underpin the existing foundation and then support the column on the existing, underpinned foundation.
StructuralEng : as it stands, the joists will span 4.4 m left to right instead of 5 m up to down
StructuralEng : The difference in span is almost nothing
Customer:

can we do local underpin?

StructuralEng : adding underpinning, a column and a beam to save 0.6m on the span is not worth it
StructuralEng : Yes, you can underpin locally
StructuralEng : If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it. I'll be happy to answer additional questions on the topic
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience: Structural Engineer