walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

How to repair a cast iron drainpipe?

Customer Question

A neighbour's builder has damaged my cast iron guttering down pipe, apparently by hitting the top with some scaffolding, which then created a force that also fractured the pipe lower down. Having initially offered a plastic replacement, which I unhappily accepted, they now appear to have reneged on that agreement, saying they are not sure if they did the damage and claiming that the pipe is heavily corroded. I think they have also realised that removing the pipe would damage the wall rendering, which they would also have to make good. A few weeks ago they did a temporary repair, which seemed to involve a bit of silicon at the top and some silver tape lower down... Question: If I have to accept a repair, what should I demand to make sure that it will be done properly and be long lasting?

Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello there,

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you and refund your deposit.

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for replying.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam