StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am trying to find out what floor loading is needed to take

I am trying to find out what floor loading is needed to take the load of two swimming pools, 1 pool (17m x 6m x 1.3m deep) and the 2nd pool (8m x 6m x 1.2m deep). Can someone help please?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

StructuralEng :

StructuralEng :

How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you with this.

StructuralEng :

These two pool are side by side?

StructuralEng :

Are the pools concrete or vinyl?

Customer:

The pools will be side by side, and depending on cost, they can be either concrete or bolted together by steel struts. I would look at the heavier option as the bolted together pools can be much more costly. There would probably be a max 3m space between them but this is not certain.

StructuralEng :

How thick would the concrete be?

Customer:

I am not sure as I have not received a quote for the pools yet, I am not sure, perhaps 5/6 inches?

StructuralEng :

I will assume 6"

Customer:

ok then

StructuralEng :

19.2 KPa

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX any chance of getting an answer in Kn/m2?

StructuralEng :

KPa is Kn/m2

Customer:

Oh ok

Customer:

thank you then, I can now check with the engineers of the proposed property that the pools will go into.

StructuralEng :

Note that's not the same as Kg/m2

Customer:

This is what the agent said to me

Here is the plan with the pool area! You can assume the pool area is designed for 1200mm of water.

Elsewhere take 5kN/m2 imposed plus 2.5kN/m2 for finishes above the slab.

Im of water weighs 10kN/m2 apparently!

StructuralEng :

That's correct.

Customer:

Sorry, excuse my ignorance so does this mean that the floor can take the weight of the two pools?

StructuralEng :

6" of concrete is another 4 KPa

Customer:

So a lighter construction of pool will be better?

StructuralEng :

It depends if the pool was designed also for the concrete weight of the pool

StructuralEng :

I don't know what the floor was designed for.

StructuralEng :

I can only tell you what the imposed load will be.

Customer:

Thats fine, is that the 19.2 KPa then?

StructuralEng :

Yes

Customer:

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX take this figure back to the agents and see what they have to say. Thank you for your assistance!

StructuralEng :

No problem

StructuralEng :

Best of luck with your project

Customer:

Thank you!!

Customer:

I need it! :-)

StructuralEng :

Any time

StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience: Structural Engineer