StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Hi. On our ground floor ceiling we have an rsj 8”x6” 3.4

On our ground floor ceiling we have an rsj 8”x6” 3.4 meters long supporting a chimney breast above, its on an outside wall not party wall, the rsj is supported one end in a wall and the other on to a smaller 4” wide rsj which runs at a right angle into a wall and the other end sits on a wall which projects 600mm, this rsj was put there just as a support a few years back for the rsj under chimney breast. My question is would it be feasible to remove the smaller rsj and the projecting wall it sits on and support the the chimney under the rsj with gallows brackets these would be one end only as the other end would remain in the wall.

Need this advice before I get someone to do plans ect.

Ray
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 3 years ago.

StructuralEng :

Hello Ray, I can help you with this. I'm away from my computer right now.

StructuralEng :

Can I get back to you later this afternoon?

Customer:

Sorry been offline a while. Any times fine.

StructuralEng :

It looks like my questions disappeared

StructuralEng :

What is the approximate weight of the chimney? Where along the span does it sit on the beam?

StructuralEng :

Do you have pictures or sketches you can share?

Customer:

Thanks for the reply.

Customer:

Sorry don't know the weight but the chimney breast above is 2.5m high x 1.2 m wide x .300 deep and goes out through the roof and it starts where the small beam on the left is (please see photo)

Full Size Image

StructuralEng :

Sorry for the delay. I had an outage and was unable to get online.

StructuralEng :

Can you post a plan sketch of the framing to make sure I'm on the same page?

Customer:

ok thanks. Will leave this for now as am seeing an architect tom so will ask another question if need be. Thanks for your help.

StructuralEng :

Ok. I'll wait for teh sketch from you