StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I want to take down a wall between my kitchen and utility room.

Customer Question

I want to take down a wall between my kitchen and utility room. It's a new build house (9 years old).

The house has 3 floors, and I believe the wall to be load bearing. Can you tell me the size of the RSJ I need?

The span of the new opening will be 2.6m wide.

Neil
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

StructuralEng : Hello
StructuralEng : How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.
StructuralEng : what is the joist length on each side of the beam?
StructuralEng : Will it support any ceramic tile?
JACUSTOMER-uwquemmf- : Length of joists 2.6m one side and 2.2m the other. no ceramic tile
StructuralEng :

Is it a wood walll or brick?

JACUSTOMER-uwquemmf- : concrete blocks
StructuralEng :

How thick is the block?

StructuralEng :

What is the height of the block above the beam?

StructuralEng :

Is it grouted?

JACUSTOMER-uwquemmf- : I would like the beam to be as tight as possible to the ceiling
StructuralEng : What is the thickness of the block and is it grouted?
JACUSTOMER-uwquemmf- : 100mm is the block thickness and the height above the beam (assume you mean the blocks on the next floor up is 2.5m. As for grouted, do you mean plastered as I am not sure what you mean?
StructuralEng :

I will assume it's solid block or grouted.

StructuralEng :

I will get you a size today

StructuralEng :

RSJ 203x133x30