walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

the gutters on the front of our house currently drain directly

Customer Question

the gutters on the front of our house currently drain directly into the heavy clay soil of our garden. result - almost permanently waterlogged garden and water coming into the house in after long periods of rainfall.

i am looking to improve the situation but the budget is limited. my initial plan is simply to extend the drainage so it empties further away from the house in a nearby field (still our own land) where it wil disperse away from our house.

question:
do i need to inform building control of changes to rainwater drainage on existing property?
what regulation if any would any new rainwater drainage system have to meet?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

StructuralEng :

StructuralEng :

How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you

StructuralEng :

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for informational purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. Only vertical gravity loads will be considered, no lateral loads or analysis is looked at (this can be a big part of the design that will need to be considered). The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

This is not a private chat.

Customer :

hi

Customer :

hello - are you there?

StructuralEng :

Yes

StructuralEng :

This is not a "structural" engineering question, per se. I will opt out and see if someone else can help with this.

StructuralEng :

I've paused the timer for you

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.

I can help That is the correct solution. You need to make sure you get the rain water away from the foundation. You can pipe the downspouts to your field, as long as it is still on your property and the water your are diverting will soak into the field before it travels off of your land. You do not want to divert any water off of your property onto a neighbors property.

The 2012 International Residential Code (IRC) does not address drainage from gutters or downspouts other than saying the following:

R401.3 Drainage. Surface drainage shall be diverted to a storm sewer conveyance or other approved point of collection that does not create a hazard. Lots shall be graded to drain surface water away from foundation walls. The grade shall fall a minimum of 6 inches (152 mm) within the first 10 feet (3048 mm).

Exception: Where lot lines, walls, slopes or other physical barriers prohibit 6 inches (152 mm) of fall within 10 feet (3048 mm), drains or swales shall be constructed to ensure drainage away from the structure. Impervious surfaces within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the building foundation shall be sloped a minimum of 2 percent away from the building.

I would not think your local Building Control would require a permit for this type of work, but to be safe you just need to call them to make sure.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello thanks for your reply. You mention the international residential code. I am in the UK. What do UK building regs say? Do I need to inform buidling control of this work:? these are the questions i am looking to answer

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
You need to follow the requirements of the Building Act of 1984.

Each Building Council adopts their own version of the regulations. Here is a weblink to an example Building Control agency.

https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/services/environment-and-planning/building-control/building-control/private-drainage

You need to search for your local Building Control Agency and they will most likely have their requirements online.

Like I said earlier, I would not think your local Building Control would require a permit for this type of work, but to be safe you just need to call them to make sure.
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.