walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

staircase designI have asked builder to fit in a staircase

Customer Question

staircase design
I have asked builder to fit in a staircase which was made to measure and at least 1 metre wide.(2 storey house).
The builder has ordered and fitted a staircase which is 1metre wide at the bottom . After the turning it is only 88cm wide. He states that this is to comply with building regulations. I cannot find any information on this on the web or planning portal. I am looking for advice from a carpenter or someone with relevant experience and knowledge on this topic to determine if this is correct
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
I can try and help you. I am an Engineer and Building Official in the U.S.

I can give you guidance based on the International Residential Code, which is what the base of most Building Codes around the world are.

Let me know if you would like me to help, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Sir Many Thanks to offer your expertise. This problem has been resolved since then.Thank you

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
No Problem.

Hope to be able to help you on any future projects