StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am looking to buy a house, approximately 1930's build, with

Customer Question

I am looking to buy a house, approximately 1930's build, with hung tiles down the front. On the left hand gable end the gable overhangs and there is a RSJ built in underneath it for the overhang which seems to have gone rusty. Some of the brickwork to the corner has dropped and looking from the front of the property the hung tiles seem to have spread out and opened up a bit. Any advice please
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Customer: Do you have any pictures you can share?
JACUSTOMER-pfv08xg7- :

I will go and get some photos now. About an hour or so.

JACUSTOMER-pfv08xg7- :

I am attaching 6 photos. I think it is a RSJ with cracks around it and in the surrounding walls. There is also a fine crack down from the window above it on the flank wall. The tiles on the front have also moved leaving a big gap between the end ones. On the opposite end of the building mirroring this end is the same construction with bricks still in to the webbing of the steel. It looks like they have been clipped and built into the webbing of the RSJ to get the brick finish but the side you have photos of looks like it has been just rendered in to cover it up some time ago but now it is blowing as you can see from the photos.

JACUSTOMER-pfv08xg7- :

Thanks. I have found out the house is actually 1905, older than I thought. I am having trouble uploading the photos at the moment, so bear with me please

front of house
Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-pfv08xg7- :

Did you receive the photos and last message I sent you 3 days ago?

Customer:

It just showed up

Customer:

You can see where the beam bears on the brick, so the brick facade above must be pulling away from the beam.

Customer:

There is also a good chance of corrosion of the beam

Customer:

I strongly recommend having a structural engineer look at this.

Customer:

on site