walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

Morning To use an oak beam as a structural door lintel on

Customer Question

Morning To use an oak beam as a structural door lintel on a 2 storey house opening 1000mm wide approx.. what size beam would I need.

can it be multiple beams bolted together.

Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I can help Can you take a picture of the door from the outside and get the wall above it in the picture?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
That will help me understand your wall and roof configuration better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but the building is in France, its a old farm house that is built of stone and clay, the walls are 800mm thick.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
OK
I have a question:
1. Does the wall above this door support floor joists, ceiling joists or roof rafters?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Floor joists are into a main beam around 24" squire that runs parallel to the wall, but to the right hand side is a Oak mantle that holds up the chimney. I`ll try and get a old picture you can have an idea.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Any type of picture would help, Thanks
I will wait for the pictures.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Farm houseSorry but having trouble attaching photos

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I received two pictures, thanks.
I see your marked out where the door will go on the inside picture.
Can you explain where the proposed door will be on the outside picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The picture of the house was just to show you the type of building.

The opening of the door is on a gable end of the house that has a lean-too roof about 4ft above the door opening.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
So will it be somewhere in the wall to the far right side of your picture? I see a lean-too roof and a chimney on that far right wall.
One last question, what is the distance from the top of the proposed door lintel to the ridge of the roof? I want to get an idea of how much stone wall the beam needs to support.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ridge would be about 16ft from the top of the lintel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the lean-too on the far right is the wall that the door needs to go.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Since your wall you will be cutting a door into is approx. 32" thick, I would use three 8"x12" oak beams to span the 1,000 mm opening. Place one beam at each wall face and the third beam in the center of the wall. You should also provide blocking/shims in between the beams to keep them laterally stable.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
walkereng, Consultant
Experience: Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Good Luck with your project!