walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

Can you advise on a better way to do this - with a maximum

Can you advise on a better way to do this - with a maximum depth of 50mm?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain your question in a bit more detail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Need to Span 4m Swimming pool over Pool Cover outlet

Would 4 x Stainless Steel Box Section Beams 50mm high x 100mm wide x 5mm thick

We need a 650mm gap to lower the Cover Roll into the pit.

I was planning to get beams 5.5m and put 3 bolts at each end (75cm) to fixed floor joists to counterbalance any flex in the beams...

The Decking is 32mm x 145mm 1.2m lengths with 200mm overlap at each end and 80mm span in the middle.

We could moveone of the beams further to the middle to reduce the deck span to 65cm...

All thoughts / suggestions hugely welcome

Many Thanks

Charlie

Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the drawing. I have a few questions:
1. Is there a specific reason to not space your box sections evenly, rather than the 1st on 70 cm from the end then the other 3 clustered together?
2. If that is the way you want it, what is the distance between the other 3 members?
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.
Based on your drawing, your idea looks OK, but I would provide your Stainless Steel Box Section Beams 50mm high x 100mm wide x 5mm thick at a spacing of 30 cm on center, so each member would support a 30 cm width of cover.
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks