How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask walkereng Your Own Question

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 555
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now

We have had steels fiited extension. The size of the

Customer Question

We have had steels fiited for our extension. The size of the brick and block cavity wall is 280mm and the width of the steel is 310mm. Obviously this leaves us with a 30mm or a 1 inch overhang. The webb of the steel is 2.5 inches or 75-80mm. What we have had occur is the steel has been pushed in to take the existing floor joists, which means that the internal skin of brickwork has 70% of its bearing on the steel and the other 30% is on the existing floor joists which are now supported by the new steel. Is this ok?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a sketch?

What Customers are Saying:

 
 
 
  • My Expert answered my question promptly and he resolved the issue totally. This is a great service. I am so glad I found it I will definitely use the service again if needed. One Happy Customer
< Previous | Next >
  • My Expert answered my question promptly and he resolved the issue totally. This is a great service. I am so glad I found it I will definitely use the service again if needed. One Happy Customer
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
 
 
 

Meet The Experts:

 
 
 
  • walkereng

    walkereng

    Consultant

    Satisfied Customers:

    555
    Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
< Last | Next >
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/WA/walkereng/2012-2-2_4226_Brad2.64x64.jpg walkereng's Avatar

    walkereng

    Consultant

    Satisfied Customers:

    555
    Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/VG/vgdlpc/2012-1-17_235838_VICENTEPHOTO.64x64.jpg vgdlpc's Avatar

    vgdlpc

    Master's Degree

    Satisfied Customers:

    17
    Civil Engineer, Major in Structures and Foundations. Professional Engineer 11 years of experience.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ST/StructuralEng/2013-9-10_61545_struct.64x64.jpg StructuralEng's Avatar

    StructuralEng

    Consultant

    Satisfied Customers:

    1705
    Structural Engineer
  • /img/opt/shirt.png ibosley's Avatar

    ibosley

    Master's Degree

    Satisfied Customers:

    85
    Mechanical Engineering
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MS/MsAM/2012-6-9_16426_anna.64x64.jpeg Anna's Avatar

    Anna

    Teacher, writer, biologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    270
    Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
  • http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/PD/pdheslin/2012-6-6_232056_pambig.64x64.jpg pdheslin's Avatar

    pdheslin

    Consultant

    Satisfied Customers:

    51
    20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
 
 
 

Related Structural Engineering Questions