walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

Morning all,I'm having solar panels put on the house and

Customer Question

Morning all,
I'm having solar panels put on the house and some of them will be on the flat roof.
I want to treat the felt before the sloar instalation with some kind of waterproofing /long life protection as a preventative measure.
Loads of paints on the market all offering the best solution ever.... is there one that sticks out above all the rest.
I was taken with Acrypol+ but it really needs to be black in colour and they only do grey or white.
Kevin
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I would really not suggest painting roof felt. If I were you, I would just install multiple layers of roofing felt. To me, that would be the cheapest and easiest. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sir,

Thank you for the response especially on a holiday weekend.

Is there a reason for NOT painting the existing roof felt, I value your advice based on your qualifications but it contradicts other advise that pushed me down the waterproofing path.

Please don't take that as disrespectful, I just curious as to why not to paint.

Kevin

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Roofing felt is flexible and it is not made to be painted, so I am concerned that the paint will crack and fail over the long run and will not provide additional waterproofing capacity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Probably my wording ...by paint I meant waterproofing paint, even with new felt I'd want to over-protect the felt.

Did some more research and have chosen a brand that's not cheap but has some great reviews.

Thanks anyway.

Kevin

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Good Luck with your project!