walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

Looking to create a strong floor in my loft, and plan to

Customer Question

Hi. Looking to create a strong floor in my loft, and plan to convert using building regs for the extra habitable room. Roof structure is traditional cut, with struts either side of the chimney stack. There are also three ceiling binders, the middle binder is 2 pieces of 2x4 overlapped and embedded in the gable wall and party wall, the other binders are single pieces of 2x4 and only embedded in gable end... ceiling binders are bolted to the rafters on exterior walls and also overlap in the middle underneath the central ceiling binder. The central ceiling binder also has vertical struts x 2 which are bolted onto the other struts either side of the chimney stack. My Question is, what are my options without modifying the existing structure for now, but future proofing for the proper conversion? Could I add a steel plate to the central ceiling binder along with another piece of 2x4 C24 grade and then hang joists from this to the external walls? Dimensions of the space of basically exactly 6metres by 6 metres. Would another possible idea be to add flitch plates plus additional 2x4s to each ceiling joist? Eventually I would like to remove the strutting as well.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would add that I don't really want to go down the route of full on steels and am only looking to convert into a velux not dormer. For now I want a useable space without full on conversion.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 months ago.
What is a binder? I've never heard that term before.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. It is a single piece of 2x4 which is directly underneath the purlins. Attached to this are the struts which are then connected to the roof rafters. Also attached underneath are the ceiling joists.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello? I've not had an answer yet
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes ok to wait thank you