StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

What size steel is needed garage door to rest on

What size steel is needed for double garage door to rest on 9" piers single skin concrete block build. Length needed is 4600 with 30% pitch roof and asi slate finish. Overall size of building is 8000 X 6075m.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 10 months ago.
Hello. What is the height of the block above the beam? What is the thickness of the block? Is it grouted? Is there an attic space in the garage? Is the opening on the gable end or along the eaves?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The opening is along the eaves. There is no attic above the eaves. There is no block above the beam.
Is there a vaulted ceiling?
International calls are expensive.
We can solve it here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Although the building is 8000 X 6075m there is an internal wall making the actual garage size 6000 X 6075m. The roof is pitched either end so it is vaulted. The pitch is 30% from plate level.
Thank you. Give me a few minutes to run some numbers
UB 203x133x30. The rafters will need to be detailed to brace the top of the beam.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am I assuming that the 203 measurement relates to the height of beam. I am also using ready made trusses so will that make a difference to the bracing you mentioned.
Yes. It's 203 deep x 133 wide and weighs 30 kg/m.
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience: Structural Engineer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks for your time.
No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project.