StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have some questions that I need answers to relating

Customer Question

I have some questions that I need answers to relating to domestic floor loading, joist sizes and spans, relevant regulations, etc. They might be very time-consuming to describe in writing, as I don't know what information is relevant. I would like to be able to speak to a suitably-qualified person on the phone, and maybe supplement the conversation with some diagrams sent by email. Can anyone help me with this?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I can help you with this. Let me know exactly what you need so I can provide an appropriate offer for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the reply. First off, I should be clear that I do not want our conversation to be a public one - I have seen other question and answer sessions published on this website, which I would not want to happen in the case, in part because I need to be able to speak freely about my neighbors. Are you able to confirm that our conversation will be confidential?
I wish I could, but that's outside of my control I asked a long time ago about keeping conversations private, but the website just doesn't do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, that seems a bit daft! Must cause problems for a lot of potential customers. However, I was thinking of doing this over the phone mainly, if possible, with maybe a diagram sent by email to supplement, so I guess it doesn't have to be too big a deal. Unless your rules say that you have to type up a full transcript and put that on the web site?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My need to make some progress on this has increased a bit, I would much appreciate it if we could get going pretty soon, thanks
I do not have to type a full transcript online. Please attach a diagram here and exactly what you need to know and then I will submit an offer for the phone call. We can take care of this today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. I need to know more about floor loading issues, in the context of a layer of soundproofing material being put down over an existing floor. The floor is fairly modern (1980 ish), and the joists under it run over a span of about 3.2m, between a masonry wall and a steel beam (RSJ?). A chipboard floor sits over the joists. It is very difficult, though not impossible, to get down through the chipboard floor far enough to see the joists. The floor has a very solid feel to it, with no noticable flexing (in case that is relevant). The attached diagram shows you the floor plan of the room, which includes a walk-in storage room in one corner. The dashed line represents the steel beam, with the joists running at right angles to it. I need to understand in better detail what the rules are about what could be put over the existing floor, and exactly what information would need to be obtained about how the joists etc underneath are put together, in particular as there is a limit to the amount of cutting through chipboard flooring etc which is practical, if that is required in order to obtain information. I am already aware of a 'standard' limit of 150 kg/ square meter loading, but am hazy about this might apply here.
How thick do you believe the chipboard to be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I don't remember, and it would be difficult to find out, without cutting a hole in it. Perhaps we could talk on the phone? I am available right now.
Please post your number and I can give you a call in about 90 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
07768 561 304, hopefully a mobile is ok? the batteries on the available landline phone are not brilliant. I will expect your call at about 1700
I'm in the Eastern Time Zone in the US. I will call in approximately 90 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I should just check though, I am located in the UK, and it is UK rules, regulations, and practices that are important to me. Are these things you know about? The rules and regulations that apply in the USA are significantly different and are not relevant to me at all, nor am I only interested in the purely engineering theoretical side. Do you have UK qualifications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not wanting to seem difficult, but I would like to be reassured that we are clear that it is UK rules, regulations, and practices that are what I need to know about, not those relevant to the USA. If this is not an area you are expert in then you calling me would not be worthwhile, and I would not want you to do so. I have googled all there is to google already, I need additional expertise from an expert in UK structural engineering.
I'm not licensed in the U.K., but engineering principles are engineering principles and loads are loads. Here, there, or anywhere else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your honesty, I do not disagree with what you say. Unfortunately the thing that I need at this time is some input on UK rules and regulations that apply to floor construction, in a reasonable amount of detail. I know (because my mum had a house in the US) that there are quite a few differences between UK and USA on this. I think it would be best from me to find a UK structural engineer for this, so I'm sorry but I think the phone call isn't going to be worthwhile.
I can appreciate that. Maybe if you can tell me your exact question I could tell you better how those differences come into play.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Unfortunately it seems that the expertise which you have does not include the expertise which I need at the moment. I am not saying by any means that you do not have other expertise, but perhaps it was not made clear to you on the website that my enquiry was in the context of the UK not the US. The website that I access this service through is justanswer.co.uk , not justanswer.com, by the way, I wonder if that was made clear to you? With that I must wish you good luck for the future, and sign off.