walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer with over 30 years of experience.
61772417

I have a pre fab house think it's a tarron/Dorran and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a pre fab house think it's a tarron/Dorran and finding it hard to make it mortgageable so I'm looking for the most cost efficient way of changing the property. Can you block the outside and put a new timber frame roof on to it to make it more structurally sound? Or is there better options?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Usually an home like this is not mortgageable until it is on a permanent foundation. What type of foundation system do you currently have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I think it is strip foundations. The reason I need to do something to the property is because Im planning on selling it and want to get the best price possible without having to knock it down and do a new build and to make it easier to mortgage for the prose poetics buyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prospective* buyer
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

The usual issue with a structure like this is that it is not considered real property until it is permanently afixed to solid foundation and the structure is not movable in any way. If it is not real property, a mortgage company will not lend on it.

Need to check with a lender to see if this is the case for your structure.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i havent got the answer I need. I need to know what material / structure is best to apply round the outside to make it class as a solid structure. Like for example steel frame with block work and then a timber frame roof etc? I have seen other building of this tripe converted in different ways and would like to know my options