Mike
Mike, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

engine starts ticks over hunting then starts to die then Icanrev

Customer Question

engine starts ticks over hunting then starts to die then Icanrev it up and then it dies. will start again and does the same thing over again. problem developed when engine gets hot a while back but managed to keep going. now it is not usable.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, please let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am ok to wait for an answer

Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what sort of information do you need?

No further information is required at the moment. We are still searching for the right Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this - Im sorry to see you have had a wait...

Before we progress - I just need to know some info..

What mileage is on the vehicle?

Do you have any warning lights on when this happens?

Other than the items you have mentioned you have changed - has anything else been done / checked at all ?

When the engine starts - is it smooth ( as per normal ) or is it rough running?

Too - when it dies - does it splutter to a halt...or just die out - as if strangled ?

If you can let me know by way of reply on the above - then I can progress to help you ..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

mileage 71000.

I only have normal ignition lights when it happens

I changed the metering unit for the butterfly position. no difference.

It just dies out.

from Mary

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mary..

I do apologise for the delay -Im afraid your question timed out so I lost track of you for a time!

Your symptoms are that of either fuel starvation - which can actually be caused by a failing pump / supply...or a vacuum build up in the tank.. or, you can have a restriction in the exhaust - a blocking catalytic converter etc.
These are things that need to be checked to progress with this now.

Start by removing the fuel filler cap and retry the car- If it is then ok, you know you have a blockage in the tanks vent system causing a vacuum - then the tank vents need checking and the fuel return pipe etc for kinks and so on.

If thats not the case as above, then the exhaust would be the next thing to check / have checked as above.

Garages use what's called a back pressure test kit for this - What happens is, the engine runs fine until it clogs inside which can happen fast or slowly -and then the engine dies - because the exhaust gases cannot get out. When its been switched off - the gases slowly escape so that you can then re start the engine - the situation then repeats -- So given your symptoms, this situation needs checking too before much else.

If that proves ok, then it should have a fuel pressure test done to see if the pump is faulty -which will also cause these symptoms...

So given what you have - and what you have done/ tried so far- that would be the way forward now on this one -

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.