Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi My forrester engine is very hot and I have what apears

Customer Question

My forrester engine is very hot and I have what apears as smoke coming from the drivers side of the engine. I have checked the oil and water and I cannot see what might be causing this

Could you adive please.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Is the vehicle loosing coolant?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i checked this too, and the temp guage is ok.

The fumes are coming from the right hand side of the engine at the back.

I did crawl under the car to see if i can see anything and nothing is dripping.

I did wonder if it was the exhaust pipe as I recently had a new back box fitted?

Yes with nothing leaking to cause the smoking,this would indicate that the exhaust system is over the allowed temperature and is causing the smoking.The exhaust system should be checked as a first step for the temperature and the proper flow.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know of freelance subaru mechanics?

or an organisation that provides this service other than a subaru dealer?

The only garage besides the dealer that would provide this service is a exhaust garage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I meant the freelance subaru mechanic to look at the car overall but from what you have said they don't exisist.

What would be the second step if it was not the exhaust system?

If it is not the exhaust,the head gasket would need to be pressure tested as they have a habit of leaking on these vehicles and the leak is external near the exhaust. Sorry don't know of any freelance mechanics. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry , do you know roughly how much it would cost to replace the head gasket?

The gasket it self is not expensive at all,the labor would be about 5 hours at the shops hourly labor rate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem thank you. You can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive if you need to.