Mike, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

Car turns over but does not fire some times if I turn ignition

Customer Question

Car turns over but does not fire some times if I turn ignition on then off and back on the car usually fires up
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you ..

When you have this issue - what exactly is the security system light doing ? Is it operating as it would / should ?

Have you had any plug in tests done at all? If so , with what results?

Rgds, MIKE.........................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes light ok its just not firering as it should i turn the ignition on car turns over but does not fire turn off then turn it on again then it seems to fire up this is now happening all the time

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello there Tony - Thank you for your reply and further info..

This is indicative on this model Tony of a faulty / worn ignition unit - whats happening is its a rotary electrical contact set up- so that when they wear, they lose contact on the turn - hence, you get what you have described.

Thats the usual case - you will just need to check for any bad wiring / connections on the circuit etc if you haven't already but other than that, it generally means it needs a new ignition unit to cure this issue Tony.

Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.