Mike
Mike, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

We have just purchased a forester x 2.0 estate 2005.On the

We have just purchased a forester x 2.0 estate 2005.On the initial test drive we enjoyed the over all feel of the car (69,000) The car is quite exceptional for the year and the car has been well cared for.How ever the gear change seemed quite crunchy/not quite smooth...could you please tell us if this is a characteristic of the manual Forester...as we have never driven a vehicle of this kind before.
Thank You
Alan Vowles
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello Allan and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..

The first thing to say is no, this is not a characteristic of this model in general..

Usual causes for crunching / noisy - non smooth gear changes on this model are - :
  • Fault with the clutch / system
  • Faults with the gear change linkage - bushings on the linkages worn
  • Worn syncromesh - this is internal in the transmission

These things as above will need to be physically checked out - I have given you the likely causes in the easiest / cheapest order / to check out...

Any good local garage will be able to do that for you as above but if you bought the vehicle from a garage, your first port of call would be to them to check as above for warranty purposes.

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good Afternoon Mike,

Thank you for answering our question, with that we contacted the garage where we are to pick up the Subaru this coming week.We are waiting for an answer from the garage owner tomorrow..so lets see how it goes.

Thanks Again

Alan.