Mike
Mike, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My Outback 2.0 Boxer diesel started to behave strangely, no

My Outback 2.0 Boxer diesel started to behave strangely, no power, juddering. The DPF light was flashing for a while and then went on constant. we took it to a dealership who had recently taken on Subaru, they told us the DPF needed replacing, which they did. the problem did not go away. After many more investigations a new engineer who had a lot of experience with Subaru found a leak in the fuel pipe. within half an hour the problem was found and sorted and the car was running fine. Did I need to have the DPF replaced in the first place?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise -

The fact that the DPF system light was on / flashing - doesn't necessarily mean the thing needed replacing - often they will respond to a clean - This can be done by what is called a "forced re gen" - done by fast / hard driving for around 20 mins -which forces re generation and often that will cure the light / issue.. The handbook for the vehicle explains this if you have that ... If its found that the system will not sort out after that - a plug in diag machine is generally used to do as above... Only when all has been done as above - if the light will not go off, does it have to be replaced.. I dont know exactly what was done - but thats the way---

Evidently the Dpf from what you have outlined, was not the running issue / cause - as the leak issue was the cause of that -as found later..

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meanwhile - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.