Mike, Subaru Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

Help - my boyfriends Subaru was stolen from our driveway Friday

Help - my boyfriends Subaru was stolen from our driveway Friday evening with the keys in the ignition. The car has been located and returned to us this afternoon after forensics had finished with it. The only thing is the car was found but not the keys - we have the spare which works but obviously the thief still has a key too. Can the immobiliser be recoded so that his key fob won't work? Also is it a big job to change the locks on the car - it's a 2001 Impreza WRX model?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help / advise you ..

Sorry to see there has been a delay..

As there has been a delay - can I just ask if you are indeed still in need of help / advice on this... Please let me know.

When I receive your reply, I will get back to you asap thereafter -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.......................

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike

Yes - any advise you can give would be welcome

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Heather -

Thank you for your reply -

Ok - I can see the dilemma you have - the thief likely having one key still.. but Im afraid you can't code or recode the system differently to what it was initially.. ie, if you have the system coded , it will be usable by the original key.

This presents quite a problem - as the only other way forward would be to have a "different" system fitted - that means a new Ecu ( main computer ).. new Security system Ecu - new keys etc.. new locks.. this is certainly not going to be cheap at all...

The only cheaper way to do as above, from fitting new parts , would be to have second hand ones fitted.. that would work..

The only other way to secure the car - from the likes of the guy using the same key again and certainly considerably cheaper - would be to install a separate security system to the car... You could fit a proper kit such as the many sold on the market in many places..or - if it were me, I would fit a security switch - hidden - so that it cuts either the ignition and / or fuel supply to the engine.. so that no matter what key is used, the car will not start unless the switch is activated.

Any decent auto electrician - or garage can fit that for you -- its considerably cheaper than any of the other options.. again.. that is what I would do given you are not going to get any help from the insurance.

The worst that happens is that yes, the guy could get back into the car - but he certainly wouldn't be able to start it and drive it off.. once he realises that - he'd give it up as a bad job and go elsewhere.

Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..

-~~~ Meantime ----- Please do click on the Exc / Ok ratings for me at this time.. - Thank you in advance for that -

... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating should you need more at all - it doesn't close you out --

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, Subaru Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert