Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73554018

My Legacy series 1V started hesitating and then cutting out

Customer Question

My Legacy series 1V started hesitating and then cutting out as the revs lowered below 1200ish. Had to drive with left foot braking and throttle open to keep the revs up. The garage has fitted a new throttle body, not cured, and now a new crankshaft position sensor, but no cure.
Any ideas? It's getting expensive, all Subaru genuine parts ordered from Japan.
Martin
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Is the check engine light "ON" when the engine is running . Have you checked for any malfunction "codes" Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes, no "check engine". Not a fuelling problem, it's the same on LPG and petrol. Been in the Subaru experts B Subaru for two weeks now, they have no idea at the moment..
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Has the throttle body been checked for carbon build up ,This is a typical issue making engines stall at idle speed if on petrol or lpg.The throttle plate will not close correctly and the ICV gets gunked up ,Check and see if the TB is nice and clean if not remove and clean out with brake fluid then throttle body cleaning spray . If this is clean check the Mas Air Flow meter readings if you have a low readings engine will stall.. These are a few issue typical to cause stalling at idle 9Under1000rpm) and not trip a malfunction code . Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service. This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I told you, it's a brand new throttle body, ex Subaru Japan. Also a new crank position sensor!
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.
Okay thank you i will opt out and see if another expert can assist you with this issue . Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
looking on "Ask" there are loads of Subarus with the same problem, no solutions as yet. I live in hope. Look forward to hearing fresh thoughts.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please cancel and also my pending and any other payments. Thanks for your efforts, albeit unsuccessful. It's got literally everyone puzzled
Martin