TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Hello. I was given some shares as part of a performance bonus.

Hello. I was given some shares as part of a performance bonus. These shares had a minimum period of 3 years before the vested and I could then keep of sell them. The shares just vested and my 455 shares (about 9,000 GBP) became 218 shares after tax and national insurance. I assume that the tax and ni rate was applied to the shares and not the value. If I now sell these shares, how do I calculate any capital gains tax as I don't know what their starting value is?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

You paid tax and nic on £9,000 (40% + 12%) so the cost of 455 shares for CGT purposes is £9,000. There is no capital gain on those sold to pay the tax and nic and the remaining 218 shares cost £4,312.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.