Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a UK citizen and want to transfer some property I own

Customer Question

I am a UK citizen and want to transfer some property I own (a small complex comprising a shop, flat and offices) to my two children - then hope to survive seven years! This property has increased in value by around 60% since I bought it. Would I be liable to capital gains tax when the ownership transfer is made? If so, at what rate?
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question

Yes you will be liable to capital gains tax, due to the change of ownership of this property. The rate of capital gains, will probabaly be at 28%, as I suspect your annual income is more than £42475 each tax year.