Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

HI IM 68 YRS OLD WORKING IN THE UK AS A CARER I WANT TO KNOW

Customer Question

HI IM 68 YRS OLD WORKING IN THE UK AS A CARER
I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH I CAN EARN BEFORE I HAVE TO PAY TAX?
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question

Currently (from 06/04/2013) this sits at £9440 a year, which breaks down to £786.66 a month/£181.53 a week.

If you are employed, the employer allows you to earn either the monthly or weekly amount (depending on how often you get paid) each time you are paid (rather than give you the full allowance for the year in one go) and then deducts tax and National Insurance from any excess each time you are paid.

But if you are self employed, then the annual £9440 is allocated against your net income (income less expenses) in one go,. and if you have income left over and above this amount, then tax (and National Insurance) is paid on the remaining amount, and paid to the tax office no later than the 31st Jan following the end of that tax year.

Please feel free to seek clarification on any aspect of my answer, but if in the meantime you could rate the level of service received, it would be appreciated as this ensures I am paid. And any feedback and/or bonus are always welcome.