Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am being penalised because my employers failed to let HMRC

Customer Question

I am being penalised because my employers failed to let HMRC know my tax situation. This went on for two years and now HMRC are asking me for £1,800.

To summarise, I have a pension and an also employed. When I joined my present job over two years ago, I supplied my P45 and various other documents. Two years on my employers are saying they never received my P45 so I have been underpaying my income tax.

All my documentation was sent in the internal post and none of the other documents were lost/not received. I have written numerous letters listing my objections and asking questions but after very long delays I receive standard letters that do not answer my questions and simply say that I owe the money.

Is there anything I can do to contest this.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

Can confirm that you were in receipt of your pension before you started the job with the employer who appears to have lost your P45? Is this an occupational or a private or a state pension? Do you remember which tax code was on your P45? What tax code was operated by your employer? Did they ask you to complete a P46 in the apparent absence of your P45? Which tax year(s) are you underpaid for?