TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

hi, I STARTED SEASONAL JOB IN MARCH TO DATE I HAVE EARNED £1438

Customer Question

hi, I STARTED SEASONAL JOB IN MARCH TO DATE I HAVE EARNED £1438 MY TAX CODE IN 944L SHOULD I BE PAYING TAX
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

If you have a 944L tax code, you can earn £181.54 per week or £786.66 per month without paying tax. Any unused part of the personal allowance is carried forward to the next week or month. If your earnings for the 2013/14 tax year which ends on 5 April 2014 do not exceed £9,440, you will pay no tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tony thanks for reply..

the problem i have is that up to last week my payslip was not taxed and when i received last week slip i was taxed..this is a seasonal job and the recruitment agency i am with cannot give me a explanation..

i workd the same job last year and didnt not pay tax for the time i was there..so i am very confused...

Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me what the cumulative figures for taxable pay and tax are as shown by your latest payslip please. What were the pay and tax figures for the previous payslip? What tax code are you currently on?