TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

We have a client that is UK resident but not UK Domicile The

Customer Question

We have a client that is UK resident but not UK Domicile

The only income is from investments here and abroad. We need to submit a tax return client has no NI number or UTR no

Do we need an NI no to get a UTR ???

Can either / both be applied for on line
Expert:  TonyTax replied 4 years ago.

There are many non-domiciled people living in the UK who don't have a national insurance number. I'm not aware that its compulsory to have one but your client would need one if he worked as an employee or on a self-employed basis. An outline of the process to obtain an NI number is here.

If you need to complete a tax return, you will need to apply for your client to be issued with a UTR by completing a form SA1. I've completed and submitted self-assessment tax returns for non-domiciliaries without NI numbers in the past and have yet to run into problems but it appears that an NI number must be obtained before registering for self-assessment from the note on the SA1.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.