TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

With some others, we are wanting to set up an organisation

Customer Question

With some others, we are wanting to set up an organisation to run a Annual Regatta for charitable fund raising purposes. Main income will be from advertising revenue from the programme and from the sale of such to public. Other income will be from the purchase and sale of regatta type merchandise. Total income below £5k a year and expenses about half of that, as a lot is provided free.
What would be the best vehicle for the organisation bearing in mind taxation and the need to protect commitee from potential claims (though we will have insurance). Would we need to apply for Charitable Status?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please continue

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please respond!

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your patience,
Your question was of great interest to me personally.
To apply the VAT reliefs and exemptions available for charities your organisation must hold evidence that it is registered with the Charity Commission.
Your organisation can apply to HMRC for recognition as a charity for tax purposes. To do this you need to complete form ChA1.
You can call the Hotline and even apply on the phone (option 2)8.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday (Closed weekends and bank holidays)@ 0845 302 0203.
They can also assist you with any other questions about your organization.