taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

If I pay off my Granddaughters Student Loan,is this viewed

Customer Question

If I pay off my Granddaughters Student Loan,is this viewed as a gift and does it give rise to a tax liability
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 4 years ago.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Thank you for your question..

Here are the implications of paying off your grandaughter's student loan. It would be viewed as a gift.

Personal tax implication

Any person who receives a gift receives it as tax free, i.e. there is no tax on gifts in the hands of the recipient.

Inheritance tax implication

Depending on the amount involved, the gift can be covered under inheritance tax exemptions and reliefs.

You can give up to £3,000 away each year, either as a single gift or as several gifts adding up to that amount - you can also use your unused allowance from the previous year but you use the current year's allowance first. If you have not used this allowance in either this year of the previous tax year, then you can gift up to £6,000 and the gift would be covered under annual exemption.

If you have exhausted your annual exemption allowance then the gift will be regarded as a potentially exempt transfer,, whereby if you survive for seven years after making a gift to someone, the gift is generally exempt from Inheritance Tax, no matter what the value.

More information on Inheritance tax exemptions and reliefs can be found here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax/intro/basics.htm#4

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.