TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am a photographer and this year I have not been home in the

Customer Question

I am a photographer and this year I have not been home in the UK much. I'm self employed and my main income is from a website I run and to do this I do not need to be in the UK and so most of this year I was abroad. I read somewhere that if you are not in the UK for more than X amount of days you do not need to pay tax?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question,
Your UK tax liability depends on where you are 'resident' and 'domiciled' in a tax year.
There is no minimum length of time that will make you resident - but if you are in the UK for 183 days or more in a tax year, you will be resident in the UK for that tax year. Generally the more time you spend in the UK the more likely you are to be UK resident.

You are likely to be resident if, over a period of several years, your presence in the UK becomes part of the regular pattern of your life. This means that if you have a home in the UK and you have not acquired a different home in another country then you are still a UK domiciled resident and would need to pay tax in the UK.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'm UK citizen with British Passport. My home is here in the UK... but I have not been in the UK for more than 183 days for this last Tax year.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

You'll be treated as non-resident from the day after you leave the UK if you can show:

you left the UK to go abroad permanently or your absence and full-time work abroad lasts at least the whole tax year

your visits to the UK are less than 183 days in a tax year and average less than 91 days a tax year over a maximum of four consecutive years.

You are still a UK resident for tax purposes.