Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I am doing work for a company based in Gibraltar, (legal documents)

Customer Question

I am doing work for a company based in Gibraltar, (legal documents) should I charge vat?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.

Hello, if you have any questions or need further clarification after reading my answer please let me know.

Thank you for your question ...

Please advise nature of service for a company in Gibraltar.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Legal docs, contracts for self employed staff. All specific to an on-line business. Privacy policy for collecting data etc etc.

Anton, thank you for your reply..

UK VAT may need to be charged on services performed in Gibraltar or to clients based there, depending on the nature of the service supplied. This is a complex area, but broadly, assuming the supplier belongs in the UK and the customer belongs in Gibraltar, UK VAT will need to be charged on most services unless one of the following exceptions applies:

- UK VAT does not need to be charged on most services related to a live event or physical activity carried out in Gibraltar. This includes cultural, artistic, sporting, scientific, educational, training, entertainment, exhibition and valuation services.

- UK VAT does not need to be charged on most ‘intellectual' or ‘intangible' services supplied to a customer who belongs in Gibraltar. This includes copyright, royalties, licences, advertising, consultants, engineers, lawyers, accountants, banking and insurance. If the service relates to land or property situated in the UK, VAT still needs to be charged.

- UK VAT does not need to be charged on passenger transport carried out in Gibraltar.

VAT is chargeable where the service is deemed to have taken place, this is usually where the customer belongs. So in your case the supply will have taken place in Gibraltar, so no UK VAT needs to be charged.

If you need more information please let me know before you rate my service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

I am available for any follow up questions you may have, and you can use the reply button to post your follow up questions to the page.

Hi Anton

I notice you have viewed my response to your original question whether you should charge VAT for some work you are doing for a company based in Gibraltor (JACUSTOMER-1ezy01oi- Last Viewed on 20/08/2013 at 09:20).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get paid for it.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.